In the last installment of this build, we started working on the grips. In this installment, we’ll refinish the grips and start work on the slide modifications!
See part 1 of this build HERE
You can see that I improved on my process with the second panel and did a much cleaner job. You don’t need to go too deep, just a few millimeters, so this is an easy job that anyone can do with hand tools.
The grips that I purchased were unfinished, which means they needed a bit of sanding to smooth out the rough edges, as well as some sort of protective finish. I worked my way up to 400 grit sandpaper smoothing out the edges as best as possible. These feel amazing now.
A polyurethane sealant is easily applied using an old t-shirt. I went with the polyurethane because it is easy to work with and doesn’t alter the color too much. If desired, you can use any wood stain that you wish.
Don’t forget to apply your protective finish to the inside of the grip panels!
A coated grip is on the left, the uncoated one is on the right. The color is minimally changed, but the depth and contrast in the grain is very apparent. It looks warm and inviting now, just the way I like it!
With the grips more or less completed, it’s time to move on to the slide. We don’t need to make too many changes here, but let’s take the slide off and disassemble it to make the process easier.
The Madbull compensator that we used fits in place of the normal barrel bushing. Remove the bushing by taking out the recoil spring plug and rotating the bushing until it slides out.
Remove the barrel. The Colt Rail Gun uses a secondary spring that surrounds the barrel unlike most other 1911 style pistols.
At this point, we started running into our first fitment issues with compensator, namely the fact that it’s designed for WE 1911s, not KWC style 1911s like this. See part three HERE